Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fried Onde-Onde


There's two kinds of onde-onde. One is boiled and then coated with steamed coconut, and another one is fried onde-onde. I love both. Hee. I decided to try making the fried onde-onde for today. It turned out the way I like it. My parents said it's good. Me? I think I can finish up all at one go, but my parents taught me to share. Haha. I gave some to my uncle and his wife. (";)

Ingredients:

Filling
  • 80g gula melaka
  • 3 tbs brown sugar
  • 80 ml water
  • 200g grated coconut
  • 1/3 tsp salt
Skin
  • 250g glutinous rice flour
  • 125g sweet potato, boiled and mashed
  • 35g sugar
  • 1/3 tsp salt
  • 140ml hot water
  • Sesame seeds, enough for coating
Method:
Filling
  • Cook gula melaka and brown sugar with water till dissolved.
  • Add grated coconut and salt, stir-fry till mixture is fairly dry.
  • Remove and set aside.
Skin
  • Put sifted glutinous rice flour into a mixing bowl. Stir in salt and sugar. Add in mashed sweet potato to mix. Pour in hot water and mix with a wooden spoon until well blended.
  • Knead the dough lightly until it is firm, smooth and pliable but not sticky to the touch.
  • Roll dough into a long fat sausage shape and cut into 12–14 equal sized portions. Shape each portion into a ball.
  • Wet the palms of your hands. Roll the balls and make a hole in center, put in filling, then roll into a ball before coating with sesame seeds.
  • Heat oil over a medium heat and deep-fry the balls in batches of 3–4 pieces at a time for 4–5 minutes or until the sesame seeds turn golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment