Sunday, February 15, 2009

Kuih Kaswi

I love to eat kuih melayu, and one of them being Kuih Kaswi. I went through several blogs before I came across a recipe that will yield me those soft chewy Kuih Kaswi. But I still altered the recipe in the end. Hee.

Ingredients:
(A)
2 cups plain flour
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1 tsp salt

(B)
400g gula melaka (palm sugar)
1 cup sugar
2 cups water

(C)
1 tsp air kapur (alkaline water)
4 cups water

(D)
Grated coconut
Pandan leave (for aroma)
Salt (to taste)

Methods:
  • Mix (B) in a pan and let the sugar dissolve, till boil. Set aside to cool before use.
  • Mix (A) in a bowl, and sift.
  • Combine both (A) and (C), followed by (B).
  • Strain the mixture so as to get a smoother texture.
  • Prepare the casings by putting a bit of oil, so that the kuih will not stick.
  • Prepare the steamer.
  • Pour the mixture into miniature cups or a baking tin. Steam for at least 45 minutes for baking tins and about 15 minutes for miniature cups.
  • Let the kuih cool first before cutting.
  • Steam (D), and sprinkle on the kuih when serving.
It's soft and chewy. I LOVE IT. And my mother loves it too. I am sharing with my uncle's family later on.

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment